Have you ever wondered why Jesus stated that we must hate others and hate our own lives? At first, from the natural perspective, the initial reaction is that one is taken back in shock! As a matter of fact, when I first came into the faith of Jesus Christ and became born again, it was a little puzzling to understand for me. However, as I grew in the Lord and became associated with the Kingdom of God, everything became so much clearer.

Let’s take a closer look at that verse:

“If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.” (Luke 14:26 KJV).

Those words in Red are the words of Jesus Christ. That is why this scripture can be so puzzling to most people. The average person believes Jesus to be “all loving” and void of any type emotion that is opposed to “love.” But when they see a scripture like this, they are immediately taken back. Some that I have come across are even offended. The offense happens because people become impatient and refuse to allow the Holy Spirit to guide them into Truth. Many have not the Spirit, hence, the easiness to get offended. I wasn’t offended when I stumbled upon that scripture years ago. I was just curious. I knew there was a deeper meaning behind it, so I left it at that. A time later, as I stated initially, I began to see things clearer and that scripture had relevance and application in my life.

Let’s take a quick look at another scripture with a different meaning of hate:

“Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies” (Galatians 5:19-20).

The Greek word for hatred in Galatians 5 is echthra which means: enmity, hostility, hostile, adversary, malice.

The Greek word for hate in Luke 14 is miseó which means: detest, esteem less, denounce, less value, renounce

There is a clear difference if we study the words correctly and also take into consideration the CONTEXT of what Jesus was speaking of in the Gospel of Luke. Jesus wasn’t saying we should be hostile or malicious with our family but we must rather love less, esteem lower, and even renounce our kinship with them. Hence, being born again or born anew as a New Creature in Christ Jesus.

“Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,” (Ephesians 1:5).

This loving less and renouncing the blood line so to speak of one’s family and entering a new blood line that of Jesus Christ, is essential to one’s experience as a Christian. The so called “christian” that is still in close proximity (conduct/conversation) with his/her family has not begun to hate his/her family. We should detest the natural works of the flesh. All families who are not in the Kingdom of God are practicing the works of the flesh.

“Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.”(Galatians 5:19-21).

The will of God must Triumph worldly relationships and those in the world will eventually take notice. They will see your devotion towards the kingdom of God and even from their perspective, your zeal will be considered “hate.” This is a good thing and confirms that you have a new Father (God) and a new Family (the household of Faith).

“For the zeal of thine house hath eaten me up; and the reproaches of them that reproached thee are fallen upon me.” (Psalm 69:9).

The same hatred is needed to be had towards one’s own life. We must understand that the goals and dreams we have as casual human beings may not be what God desires for us. As we become born again Christians we are now following the kingdom of God. We are to lay our lives down for the Cross of Christ and take up his work and will.

“And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.” (Luke 9:23).

This denial of one’s self is similar to one hating his own life. We lessen the importance of our goals, we esteem less the desires of our flesh. We are now in tune with the Lord’s work and his will. Jesus even stated himself in the Garden of Gethsemane, “…nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.” (Lk 22:42). Jesus hated his own life in the sense of esteeming it less in comparison with the will of God. We are not to hate our life in the sense of being hostile to ourselves as some do who commit suicide. They truly have a wrong hatred towards themselves and others. But we as Christians should hate our lives and others as it and they pale in comparison to the will of God. We must firmly understand that our #1 priority is the will of God and bearing fruit for the kingdom of God because only what we do for the kingdom of God will last.

Every man’s work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man’s work of what sort it is.” (1 Corinthians 3:13).

can you bear the cross?

Michael Grima · November 30, 2020 at 2:57 pm

Brother Gabe The Holy Ghost has spoken through you. Thankyou for Not grieving or quenching the Holy Ghost Because what you wrote is exactly right! Amen.

The Lord has further opened my understanding to his Word and now I understand more. I have been growing and living in Christ Jesus more and more each day. I have often wondered what Jesus meant when he said to hate your father and mother, wife, son and daughter, brother or sister and yourself. I realise after reading what you wrote that I have been living that way for a long time now.

Jesus Christ, the Son of God who is The manifestation in the flesh of God our Heavenly Father, is first in my life. I hate my life, my life is not mine but my life belongs to Jesus. I am not of my own but Christ that dwellth in me.

I pray we endure trials and temptations and that we obey our Lord’s commandments until He comes again.
I pray the Lord fills me with all courage and wisdom and knowledge and that he may put to death my flesh, my weakness, my cowardlyness daily and that No pride maybe found in me, that God our Heavenly Father may be glorified Amen.

Gabriel · November 30, 2020 at 6:48 pm

Praise the Lord brother Michael, good to hear from you. I am glad that you have been encouraged by the writing, I praise God for that. It’s good to know that you understand the difference between the types of “hate” as mentioned in the writing. Many get confused over that passage of scripture and sadly, they get offended. I have heard people who have fallen away from the faith, quote that very scripture from our Lord Jesus. They do not understand the passage and do not allow the Spirit to further lead them and it’s to their loss.

It can also be said that experience plays a crucial role in the unveiling of that scripture. When we are learning the ways of Jesus Christ and are taking up our cross, then it begins to be clear that there is a distinction between us and them. They have yet to be born again and therefore they are in the natural realm. We are born of God and old things pass away and all things become new. In that newness of life we begin to see that the fellowship of Light and Darkness just doesn’t work. I, like you, had to learn from experience and it can be hard at first. The gradual separation from the earthly affections we had in this world for the sake of the Cross is a sobering experience. We are now headed towards the Kingdom of God, no looking back. Time is too short. “See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.” Eph 5:15-16

Another point you made is that you have begun to hate your life. I do understand that as well. Knowing that we have a higher duty and calling that must be fulfilled, keeps us on the Right Path. When we stray ever so slightly, the Father brings the rod of correction to place us back on the Path. I thank God for his judgments and chastisements. “For whom the LORD loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.”
    Proverbs 3:12.

Another view of self-hatred comes when we realize the finiteness and easy susceptibility of this flesh. I have grown to abhor my flesh when it fails and falls short. I detest myself, I loathe myself. I yearn for the body that is incorruptible. I long for this mortality to put on immortality. A new spiritual body is most necessary. “Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.” Job 42:6

Through the Psalms of David, a man after God’s own heart, I take refuge. He understood how easy the flesh could rise up and offend. He understood the frailty of this human nature. But as David did in his relationship with the Lord, we do the same. We do not hide our sins but we confess them and continue with the process of refinement. We are pliable and a suitable work for the Potter’s hands and in doing so we grow in the grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ.

john · December 7, 2020 at 2:28 pm

Brother Gabriel, I listen and rejoice of your faith in our creator the most high, your understanding of the living word is like the sweetest honey, christ was truly sent to fulfill the prophecies and endured pure hatred for the sake of truth Matthew 8: 20, perfect he was/is, showing us the true way to escape the grip and the weaknesses of the flesh, the spirit is willing, I refer to the good book to edify my learning and return to the family of truth, he tells us so many times Amos 5:18/27, we must be ready for his return, but not desire it, the labourers are to few for the harvest, we are in evil times Micah 3:1/12 they are cannibalizing the true peoples, lessening the labourers for the harvest, maybe these are the reasons christ tells us we have to reject the realm and everything in it, he knew the flesh only causes us to sin, I ask our creator to keep you close to his truth and truly thank you for your warrior attitude toward our saviour and only perfect manifestation of man there has ever been on this plane of existence. All glory to our creator whom has no name and is omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient

Gabriel · December 7, 2020 at 5:51 pm

Hello John, thank you for those words of encouragement. I am glad that you have discernment and can see things the way you do. Many do not have that sort of insight of spiritual things, they abide in the natural realm and that’s all they see. That is why they believe everything their gov’t tells them and the local news preaches to them. They are lost, they will perish. The Lord has us in these end times for a reason, that is why we are alive and experiencing what we are experiencing. There is a purpose for each one of us and it’s not to sit back and be idle. The Light shines the brightest in the darkness. We are in a world of darkness right now and we must let the Light shine.

We all have diverse ways to let that Light shine, but shine it must! We know Christ will return soon and that is what we long for. As Paul stated, “For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.” Philippians 1:23-24. So it’s more needful for us to remain here for a short time so more souls can be saved. We are God’s tools to advance the Kingdom of God. This comes by way of preaching, teaching, passing out tracts, wearing biblical apparel etc. The seeds will be sown and God’s Word will not return void!

Keep fighting the good fight!
    IN Jesus name,
    Amen

Todd · December 8, 2020 at 7:56 am

I enjoyed this reading and I enjoy watching/listening to your youtube videos. The one I watched today I started crying because the world is so lost. I’ve been praying for every accountable soul to have that relationship with God. I know I am a sinner and need of Jesus. I hate myself every day. I hate what’ve I done and I even catch myself falling into sin. I absolutely hate it. I pray to God everyday to cure me and change my heart. I know He will.

Gabriel · December 8, 2020 at 8:12 pm

The hate that we have is normal when we get closer to God. We realize how weak we are at times and should know better. That is why the scripture says: “Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.” Matthew 5:6. When I first came into the faith, I quoted that scripture a lot and desired to be filled with the righteousness of God. It doesn’t happen over night. There is a process but if we are continually willing to strive towards perfection, God will make a way. As I say, it’s a constant critique of one’s self on a daily basis. You must learn the temptations that come and make room to resist them. We must be wise and not ignorant of the devil’s devices.

May God bless you on your journey.

Brandon · December 13, 2020 at 9:20 am

Ive seen one of your videos recently pertaining to the womens march. I saw a crowd walking the streets in the hundreds and after a while the video was panning to young kids around 4-5 year olds holding up signs and being of the world. I was thinking about times in the 80s or even in the 90’s and thought that something like this would not have tooken place. THIS IS THE TIME OF THE GREAT FALLING AWAY.

You are one preacher against hundreds of people. I pray that Jesus blesses me with such strength and courage to preach the word of God as you do.

Scott · December 19, 2020 at 4:32 pm

Gabe I’ve watched a few of your videos and have learned some things already, I am probably, no definitely lukewarm but I am currently working on turning up the heat. I was offended by this scripture when I first read it because I did not understand the full correct context. Thank you for your work, I do understand it now completely and I thank the Lord for you and for the cleared up understanding. The Lord prepares me even when I am idle, thank you Jesus. He definitely works in mysterious ways. You are a great inspiration to me and help me to see past my fear of the Work and can see that the Lord has led me here for this purpose and to give me a nudge. I appreciate you and your brave work. God bless.

Gabriel · December 20, 2020 at 8:33 pm

I am glad that you have been encouraged by the videos and teachings. While the preachings are inspiring, I would encourage you to dig deep in the teachings and be a student of Doctrine. That is how one gets stabilized in the Faith of Jesus Christ by rightly dividing the Word of Truth. By God’s grace we will continue to be of assistance as the Lord permits.

Keep the faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    Amen

Jacob Mcwilliams · February 23, 2021 at 12:40 pm

Brother I need prayers for Jesus Christ to keep me on the narrow path, and to help me stay away from willful sins, also pray with me that He ignites the fire in me.

My name is Jacob Mcwilliams; my YouTube channel is Jacob M and I believe deeply that I have a calling to evangelize. I have committed blasphemys in my life, and pray The Father protects me from the unforgivable sins. I don’t know if I committed unforgivable sins, I do know that I have no desire to seek after sin willfully and I do the best I can to resist sin altogether through prayer. I use to practice sorcery and also have a testimony of a pentacle tattoo on my right wrist, although I grew up in a Christian based family. My family is Luke warm and they want listen to me, they get offended when I preach to them by saying ” if I want to hear a preacher I will go to a church” they ignore my calling to evangelize although they play it out like they Support my calling. I’m 24 years old with little to no experience preaching. I ask that you check out the 1 street Evangelism video I have on my YouTube channel https://youtu.be/7rn0kIDOgwI Grant me advice, and mentor me.

Gabriel · February 26, 2021 at 3:27 pm

Thank you for the requests. I am blessed to hear that testimony that you are called to preach the Word of God. Not many have a calling and when we are sure of our election, we must endeavor to move in it. We shouldn’t be side-tracked by those in family or friends that disagree, we must obey the call of God. The true man of God will lose family and friends for the sake of the call. We must have, what I call, Rhino skin, as it pertains to the call of God. Many will try and thwart you from walking on the path but we must endure to the end to be saved. I will leave a video below that I have left for others as well that are heading in the direction of being a witness for Jesus. It is essential that you adhere to the video below. That is the way we can be sure we are able to withstand the task at hand!

Keep the faith!