There are a few scriptures in the first part of the Epistle of John that are often misunderstood by most professing Christians. Usually the misunderstanding comes from people who have twisted the Word of God to fit their denomination beliefs. The twisting occurs because people have chosen to exalt a denomination over the Word and Truths of God. When the denomination is exalted, then God’s Word is debased in that denomination.

Let us take a quick look at the scriptures in question.

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made” (John 1:1-3).

Now let us rightly divide the Word of Truth.

vs 1. “in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”

First, one must understand that the original Greek manuscripts were written in uncials (all caps) without distinction of upper and lower case. Also, there were no punctuation or spaces between words. Below is an example of the font type in Luke 11:2:

The “written” WORD of God is inspired by the Holy Ghost. The capilizations of certain words are placed in by the translators where they see fit. We mustn’t make doctrine out of a capitalized word since the translators were not given specific instruction to capitalize the Words of God.

The “Word” in verse one, because it is capitalized is thought to be a distinct deity. Many view that to be Jesus Christ. But the verse doesn’t say that. We must rightly divide the Word of Truth and speak verbatim the scriptures. Notice what Genesis 1:1 tells us:

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.”

Now looking once again at John 1:1. We see similar to Genesis 1:1:

“In the beginning was the Word…”

The “Word” is a word, similar to my words and your words. Our words stem from us. Our words are not distinct entities or deities.

And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.” (Genesis 1:3).

At the “speaking” of God, his words went into effect. An audible declaration of the constructing of the visible from the non-visible, “let there be light.”

Now, did a separate entity or deity apart from God create light? No. It was the word spoken by God that brought that which was spoken/conceived into existence.

“By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth. (Psalm 33:6).

vs 2. “The same was in the beginning with God.”

Some translators in certain Bible versions have chosen to insert in the text “he” in place of “the same.” For example, take a look at the scripture in the New International Version (NIV):

He was with God in the beginning.” (John 1:2).

The KJV says “the same” and many other versions say “he.”

This is where many get tricked up. They either are reading from versions other than the KJV or they are listening to teachers / commentators who are leading them astray by misinterpreting John 1:2 by inserting “he.”

As many who follow this ministry already know, Rule #1. We speak the Word of God verbatim, especially when teaching the Word of God. We do not add or take away from the scriptures in the Bible. By adding and taking away from the Word of God one brings in false teachings and false doctrines. When we read a scripture like John 1:2 we must not add a word but must remain faithful to the inspired Word of God and leave it as so. As we harmonize the Word of God we can easily understand scriptures that others seemingly find difficult.  We read John 1:2 as it is written:

The same was in the beginning with God.”

So the question is, What does the “the same” mean?

1 John 1:1-4 gives us more clarity on what was in the beginning with God. You can read the verses yourself in entirety, but to get directly to the point, it was the Word of Life! The Word of God which was spoken had life in it. [That] “Word of life” was manifested when Jesus Christ came into being, at his birth.

“And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.” (John 1:14)

Some would probably wonder why in John 1 there seems to be a type of distinction between God and his word. If we harmonize the Word of God and rightly divide the Word of Truth, we can easily see why there is a “type” of distinction. The answer to why there seems to be a distinction is that God often personifies his attributes.

“Justice and judgment are the habitation of thy throne: mercy and truth shall go before thy face.” (Psalm 89:14).

Is God’s house made out of literal letters and words? Are two beings called mercy and truth walking in front of him? The answers to the above questions are obviously, No and No. Simply put, God in his Majesty, at times, uses language that personify his attributes.

“Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other.” (Psalm 85:10).

I don’t need to go into detail regarding the above scripture, you should get the point by now.

God’s word personified is what is taking place in John 1:1-3 and in many other places in the Bible. In Proverbs chapter 8, the language being used is also a type of personification of his attributes in regards to Wisdom. Many have taken that whole chapter out of context and attributed that to being a pre-existent Jesus Christ. That is not the case. Context is critical.

vs 3. “All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.”

Now that we have studied in depth and now rightly understand the first two verses we can now easily understand the third verse.

“In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.” (Genesis 1:1).

A very simple scripture to read and to comprehend. No tricks, no gimmicks, no gadgets, just the simple Word of God that sets everything straight. God created ALL things.

“Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.” (Hebrews 11:3).

The above scripture in Hebrews ties everything together so concisely. The bad habit of reverting back to what your favorite teacher, denomination or commentary says is what snares you. If one is a true student of the Word of God and seeks to understand his voice by what has been written, then they will see what I see and what the Holy Spirit is trying to convey to all.

Matthew · March 20, 2021 at 12:07 pm

Hey, I’d love to start spreading the Gospel to others. Can I get some tips on doing that in the best way?

Traghvon Holloway · July 24, 2021 at 12:04 pm

Hey Gabe I am a oneness Pentecostal thank you for this writing it opened up my understanding keep doing the good work and I pray that God blesses you in Jesus name God bless

Gabriel · July 26, 2021 at 2:43 pm

I am glad you are encouraged by the videos and teachings. I praise God for that. I am also glad you have been blessed by the writing. Double praise Jesus for that. I would also like to offer a strong suggestion however that you use biblical wording when addressing yourself in the Faith of Jesus Christ.

When we speak to others in the form of introduction it’s best to use the statement, “I am a Christian.” There is no need to use the statement you used by stating you are a ‘oneness pentecostal’ There is no such thing in the Bible. We as Christians must be aware that although there are some in the UPC that may be abdinng in the correct doctrine of Jesus Christ, there are also a host of others that perpetuate a type of denomination doctrine that is man made. Be aware of that.

That is why we address ourselves as a Christian. There are no denominations in the kingdom of God nor are there any labels we should place on ourselves other than a Christian.

A Christian is one who has believed the Gospel, renptened of their sins and been baptized into Jesus Christ. They are promised to receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost in addition. That is what constitutes a Christian. I will leave a video below that will be helpful in your growth in the Lord.

Keep the faith.

Traghvon Holloway · July 27, 2021 at 9:16 am

Thank you Bro Gabe yes ive alway thought it was weird to be in a denomination becuase as you stated we dont see it in the Bible we just see true christians or false doctrine i will watch the video keep doing what you do GOD Bless

Gabriel · July 27, 2021 at 10:45 am

Thank you for your comment. Please be advised that we do not condemn those in denominations as that is God’s business to judge every man individually. I don’t believe personally that it’s wrong to fellowship in terms of praise and worship, praying for one another, and encouraging one another in the church setting.

The only thing we advise is to not LABEL oneself a Baptist, Pentecostal, Nazarene, Methodist, Lutheran, etc. Because in so doing, one takes upon the beliefs and aligns oneself with the denomination.

I personally can go to an Acts 2:38 Pentecostal church and not be a Pentecostal. I go there as a Christian. I can sing, worship, pray for others and get prayed for if need be and not be labeled as member of that church. I don’t sign membership forms. I test all that comes across the pulpit in the light of scripture. That which is in line with scripture may be accepted, that which is not in line with scripture is rejected.

We don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater. The wheat and tares will grow together. Also, it is warned in the Book of Hebrews not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together.

Traghvon Holloway · July 28, 2021 at 10:20 am

Amen

Tammie · August 15, 2021 at 2:46 pm

I’m researching the topic of trinity in depth and have some questions about it. I hope you can help me with these questions.

– Acts 7:56: What I do not understand is that Jesus sits at the right hand of God, but how can this be if there is only one deity?

– 1 Corinthians 15:28: Nor do I understand why the Son will submit to the Father if they are one?

– Mark 13:32: How is it that only the Father knows of the day of judgment and the Son not when They (Father and Son) are one?

– 1 Corinthians 8:6: What is the difference between God and Lord?

– And how about the Holy Spirit? Is this the spirit of Christ (1 Peter 1:11, Philippians 1:19), or of the Father (Matthew 3:16) or of both the Father and the Son (Romans 8:9)?

– John 14:28: What does Jesus mean by the statement: ‘My Father is greater than I’.

Please pray for me that the God give me ears to hear and reveal the truth to me.

Gabriel · August 17, 2021 at 4:29 pm

Hello Tammie. I am glad you are seeking to find answers. I will advise you and direct you as I do other to our playlist section entitled “trinity” There you will find answers to the questions you have and more.

Keep the faith.

Tammie · August 22, 2021 at 4:59 pm

Thank you for your message. I am studying about the subject by your videos, words and of course te Word of God. I also saw your video about the right hand of God.

How should I interpret Revelation 5:7? “And he came (the Lamb/Jesus Christ) and took the book out of the right hand of him (God the Father) that sat upon the throne.” This scripture seems to indicate that God the Father sits on the throne.

Hopefully you can clarify this verse. I would like to find out the truth on the basis of Scripture. Thank you very much in advance.

Gabriel · August 22, 2021 at 5:27 pm

Thank you for your inquiry. We must let the scripture speak for itself. What John saw was a vision. At times there are literal scenes and other times it is metaphorical or symbolic. We must use discernment. The lamb is said to have 7 horns and 7 eyes in verse 6. Now obviously Jesus Christ does not have seven horns and seven eyes, literally, but we see that as symbolism. Likewise with the lamb taking the book out of the right hand of the one on the throne. It’s symbolism of the progressive state of the son of God, being a lamb that was slain and then being the heir of all things and being “given” authority from the Father. Hebrews 1. speaks on this and also Matthew 28:18.

When we see symbols in Revelation (dragon cast down to the earth / woman sittting upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns …etc) and other areas in the old testament even, we should maintain a level understanding of the scriptures as a whole. We harmonize the Word of God to come to rational conclusions. Visions are not of the natural mind and must be spiritual discerned.

God is a Spirit
    A Spirit is invisible.

Jesus Christ is a man
    A man has a body.

Jesus Christ is God manifest in the flesh. 1 Timothy 3:16

When you see Jesus you see God. When you see God you see Jesus.

“Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.” – 1 John 3:2

Keep the faith!

Tammie · August 22, 2021 at 5:34 pm

Apologies for again a message, but I still a small addition. If there is one throne, why is there than in the scriptues distinction between ‘the throne’ (Revelation 4: 2) and ‘the great White throne’ (Revelation 20:11)?

Gabriel · August 22, 2021 at 6:06 pm

Where in the Bible does it say there is a distinction? Those two scriptures solidify my previous comment. Remember, we must not add to the Word or take away from it. The scriptures are very clear. The answer is simple and is there. Contamination by the denominations and man made doctrines are what bind you.

Understanding cannot be forced. It must come from the Father. There is no scripture or doctrine in the Bible that is a stumbling block to me. All that I have come to know and wisdom I have comes from the Father. I take NO credit for it. Discourse on the subject is closed as you must glean from the Master for yourself.

“Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.”- Psalm 97:11

Gabriel · August 23, 2021 at 6:37 am

I will also add lastly to my previous comment to Tammie. You stated initially that you are “researching the topic of the trinity in depth…”

That is a major problem for you. We are not to give heed to false doctrines to such extent. The further you delve into false teachings and doctrines you place yourself more into a maze of confusion. You should be focusing on the Word of God solely and delving deep into that. Stabilize yourself in the Doctrines of Jesus Christ first and you won’t be so easily tricked by false teachings.

Skyler · September 10, 2021 at 6:02 am

Hello Gabe, Keep up the wisdom sharing, preaching etc. Since the trinity may not be true, i’m having a hard time learning about who God is and the relationship of The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I watched one of your videos and still cant totally understand. Can you help me understand?

God bless

Gabriel · September 11, 2021 at 4:39 pm

Hello friend. I am sorry to hear that. What is best to do is make sure you are on the path of obedience. After you believe the Gospel, you must must repent of sin. Then you must be baptized into Jesus Christ for the remission of sins. Ask the Father for The spirit, and you will receive the Holy Ghost evident initially by speaking in New Tongues!

The Spirit will then lead and guide into all truth. Until then, you will perpetually be in confusion trying to understand spiritual things via a natural mind. Can’t happen.

Keep the faith!

Skyler · September 17, 2021 at 11:50 pm

Hello Gabe. Thanks for the reply. I watched a couple more of your videos and it’s seems more clear to me now. Keep doing what you’re doing.